Submitted by Carol Gomrick
Sincerest thanks and gratitude on behalf of Allegheny West Civic Council and Deb Mortillaro of Dreadnought Wine for all who shared a wonderful celebration of Eberle wines in the magnificent Holmes Hall on September 15th.
If you would like a chance to Meet Gary Eberle in person, he will be in Pittsburgh for a dinner at The Carlton on October 23rd (The Carlto: 412-391-4099). Contact The Carlton directly to make reservations. Dreadnought will also be having a casual meet and greet with Gary during his October visit so watch for this on the Palate Partners class schedule calendar: palatepartners.com.
Submitted by Cecile Canales, co-chair
Many, many thanks go out to all the home owners, cars owners, and volunteers who helped make this year’s Alleys, Axles, and Ales Tour a wonderful success. A very special thanks goes to Greg Coll, our AW neighbor of the year, who with many revisions and drafts, created magnificent, colorful posters, ticket booklets, the program and lanyard hot passes. He is most reliable and a tremendous help to everyone.
- Thank you goes to Tom Barbush, Co-Chair, and to our committee members who suggested great ideas and dealt with many decisions. It was a pleasure to work with Carl Canales, Tom Cihil, Doug Debelak, John Engle, Carol Gomrick ,Thomas Huygens, Lindsy McDonald, Mitchell Schwartz, Cathy Serventi, Abi Webb. Thank you to car owners and homeowners not listed above: Tom Armstrong, Dan Barbus, Kelly Brown, Eleanor Colema, John DeSantis, Armand Englebrecht, Linda and Roy Englebrecht, Tim Hudson, Rob Johnson, Kevin Luffy, Ashley Webb, Chris and Mike Zappa.
- Thank you to Jake Bier and Abbey Surrena, of Bier’s Pub, and Nate and Katie LaValla, of Bear Dog Bike, for hosting a Beer Stop at their establishments and their financial support.
- Thanks to out-of-state displays from Michael Skellie, and his father, Dave Skellie, who traveled from Delaware bringing their DeLorean and their brand new Model 3 Tesla; Stephen Bell, of Classic Investments, a financial supporter, who traveled from Denver, CO; Dennis and Peggy Gilligan, car owners, who trailored their 1967 XKE Jaguar from Maryland, and other car owners who brought cars from central PA, Ohio, New York and Florida.
- Thanks to A&L Motors for bringing an F-Pace Jaguar, to Hagerty Insurance, a financial supporter who displayed at their tent, and to Bryan Williams, chief judge, and organizer of the Jaguar Concours Cars.
- And a special thanks to Dan Hermann, Zone 4 Chief Command Officer, who helped secure permits to close and barricade Brighton Road and a Jaguar owner.
- Thanks to our financial sponsors: Babb, Inc., Bellevue House Tour, Gallery H, Giorgio’s, Greg Coll Creative, LeClaire Griewahn & Scott, Coldwell Banker Realtor Susan Meadowcroft, The Modern Cafe, Penn Brewery, SMARTSolution Technologies, Daniel Strinkoski DDS and YMCA.
- Thanks to our own Northside food truck, Newman and Marley, whose delicious hotdogs and sausages fed the volunteers and tour goers.
- Thank you to Dr. Dan for cleaning up leaves and debris before the tour.
Thanks to our ticket collectors, MaryAnne Murphy and Cathy Serventi. Cathy and Dan Adam also helped with online tour info, Showclix, permits and expense reports.
- Thanks to the many volunteers Elizabeth Barbush, Carolyn Graham, Sally Graubarth, Bob Knaus, Scott and Hilary Moser, MaryAnne Murphy, Diana Poliziani, Michael Shealy, Doris Short, John from N. Lincoln who carried heavy buckets of signs, and my special assistant for the day, Tony Caruso.
- Thanks to our party organizers who at the end of the day served Chile and Cornbread in the Paddock to our weary volunteers: Fran Barbush, Trish Burton, Mary Callison, Diane Caruso, Nonie Knaus and Abi Webb.
- My biggest thanks go to my husband, Carl Canales, who weathered the past 2 weeks of my insanity.
Proceeds will go to Allegheny YMCA Northside Summer Camp and the Allegheny Commons Park Renovation Project.
The Allegheny West Christmas House Tour is December 7th-8th, 2018. John DeSantis has a magnificent collection of the prewar Standard and Wide gauge trains and will open his collection for tours.
I am beginning to schedule volunteers now for the trains. Are you interested this year? We need approximately 8 people on each shift, as in the past. We close early on Saturday so that guides will be able to go to the neighborhood party which begins at 9:00 pm this year. There are no train tours scheduled after the 6:00 pm tour group on Saturday.
John also has a walkthrough prior during the week of the tour. Please take advantage of this opportunity to view his collection and help AWCC with the train tours. To volunteer, please contact Cecile Canales at email@example.com. Thank you!
Save the Date! – The annual AWCC Christmas Tour will be held on December 7th and 8th. If you are interested in having your house on the tour, please contact Carol Gomrick at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Important Dates Leading into the 2018 Tour
Wednesday October 10th at 7:00 pm: Christmas Tour General Meeting | 940 W North Avenue
Wednesday November 7th at 7:30 pm: Christmas Tour Mailer Labeling | Calvary Church
There will be a meeting to start planning the annual Christmas tour on September 20th at 7:00 pm. The meeting will be held at Carol and Brett’s house at 940 W North Avenue. Anyone interested in volunteering is encouraged to attend. Homeowners interested in having their house on the tour should e-mail Carol at email@example.com.
The meeting of the Alleys, Axles and Ales tour committee has been changed to Tuesday, July 10th at 7:00-9:00 pm at 844 N Lincoln Avenue. The Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix begins this week and Monday night is the popular Walnut Street car show. Please if possible, change your plans and attend the meeting Tuesday. Refreshments will be served at the Tuesday meeting. All AW members are welcome to attend. Finishing details will be discussed with emphasis on advertising and getting the word out. Posters will be on hand to distribute to local businesses, beer distributors and car dealerships.
Allegheny West members are encouraged to sell tickets to the alleys, Axles, and Ales tour to friends and coworkers. Each 5 tickets sold will be entered in a neighborhood raffle for a chance to receive a ticket to the Ground to Glass Wines Showcase September 15, 2018. Four select Eberle wines will be featured with a paired food course. This event will be held at Holmes Hall ballroom hosted by Deb Mortillaro of Dreadnought. Valued at $120.
Thank you to all neighbors who volunteered to make this year’s wine tour possible. And a special thank you to Carol Gomrick for once again organizing, such an amazing and successful tour!!
The Pennsylvania Resources Council (PRC) is partnering with local community groups to fight litter after the Deutschtown Music Festival. Over 20,000 people are expected to attend the two-day, free music festival, which can equate to quite a lot of litter! Join PRC for a litter clean-up to protect our environment, as well as the community members who call the North Side home. PRC will provide pastries for breakfast as well as gloves, vests, bags and litter pickers for volunteers.
Deutschtown Music Festival Litter Clean Up: Sunday, July 15th 9:00 – 11:00 am
Meeting at the Public Parking Lot next to Allegheny City Brewing. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
The next meeting of the Alleys, Axles, and Ales tour will be Monday, June 11th at 844 N Lincoln Avenue at 7:00 pm. If you would like to volunteer, you are able to sign up at http://goo.gl/gVBCBg or email Cecile Canales at email@example.com. Volunteers are needed to direct traffic, to help at the Cars ’n Coffee table, to deliver and pick up kegs and ice, to make chili and cornbread for the after party and to set up and clean up at the after party. Please speak with garage/car owner before signing up to volunteer at a garage/beer stop. The tour is scheduled to be held September 29th from 11:00 am – 5:00 pm. Cars’ coffee will be from 9:00 am to 11:00 am.
Alleys, Axles & Ales Meeting Agenda: June 11th
- Ticket Sales
- Garages and Cars
- Cars ’n Coffee
- Promotions and Advertising
- After Party
A meeting of the Beer Selection Committee for the Alleys, Axles, and Ales tour will be held Monday, June 18th at 844 N Lincoln Avenue at 7:00 pm.
Beer Selection Committee Meeting Agenda: June 18th
- Garages and Beer stops
- Selection of Beers and Breweries
- Program Write-ups
Tour-goers will be walking through our neighborhood the weekend of June 22nd – 23rd, traveling along Brighton Road, N Lincoln Avenue, Galveston Avenue, North Avenue, Beech and Allegheny Avenues, as well as Rope Way.
Please begin now to pull weeds in front of your property and to fill a bag or two with trash, old leaves and other “street” debris along the tour route so that we can put our best face forward. Should you need trash bags or gloves, please contact Trish Burton, (412) 523-9402 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also, if you intend to plant flower boxes or urns in front of your property, please consider doing so before the tour so that our guests have a lovely walk between host houses. Thanks in advance for helping to beautify Allegheny West!