Annual Allegheny West Marathon Party will begin this Sunday, May 1st, at 6:00 am at 944 Western Ave. This is a BYOB and covered dish brunch. First runner to hit Western Ave will be around 7:00 am.
Please come and cheer the runners!
Important: Maps & Road Closures
[ebor_button style=”sea” url=”http://www.thepittsburghmarathon.com/Files/Admin/2016%20Updated%20Maps/2016-Getting-Around-Town-Map—Pittsburgh-Marathon.pdf”] Race Routes [/ebor_button] [ebor_button style=”sea” url=”http://www.thepittsburghmarathon.com/Files/Admin/2016-DSGPM-Sector-Road-Closures.pdf”] “Detailed” Road Closures* [/ebor_button]
* Not that detailed. It only lists Western Ave, but since the race goes up to Ridge along Brighton and then down Galveston to Western more than Western will be closed.
We’re trying to track down exactly where and when they’re going to block traffic, but for sure if you park on…
- the 800 block of N Lincoln, Western & Maolis (might be able to take Rope down to Beech to get out)
- Galveston between Ridge and at least Dounton
- Brighton between Ridge and Beech
- anywhere on Ridge
…you’ll be completely locked in by the race. If you plan to go anywhere before 10:00 am the day of the marathon you’re going to need to move your car to another location the night before. They absolutely will not let you drive through the racers so please plan accordingly.
I will do my best to confirm exactly where they’re closing the roads, but I would suggest moving your cars to Beech or North at the very least. You only need to move your cars if you’re planning to go anywhere that morning.
They will actually tow cars (I think) along the race routes:
- Brighton from Western to Ridge
- Ridge from Brighton to Galveston
- Galveston from Ridge to Western
- Western from Galveston to Allegheny (and beyond)
In the past we’ve been able to arrange some temporary parking for people landlocked by the race but unfortunately the lots we’ve used in the past (i.e. Babe, etc) are blocked by the race this time around so folks will need to do their best to make alternate arrangements themselves. Again you only have to move your car if you park along the race route or if need to leave the neighborhood before 10:00 am the day of the marathon.
As soon as I get confirmation from the City, I’ll share with the neighborhood but please start thinking about any travel plans you have for Sunday morning.
See you at the Cheer-a-thon at Tim’s!