Fight for the things you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you.
– Ruth Bader Ginsburg
We’re within 30 days of what people are describing as the most consequential elections of a generation.
The US Presidential Election is on Tuesday, November 3rd. Because of coronavirus a lot of us are voting by means other than in-person voting. If you’re mailing or dropping your ballot in a drop box, remember to put the ballot inside the secrecy envelope and then inside the mailing envelope. A ballot not inside the secrecy envelope is considered “naked” and will not be counted. In this time of great division in our country, can we here in Allegheny West come together and agree not to let anything leave the house naked in November?
The Allegheny West Civic Council Election is on Tuesday, November 10th. After discussions within the Executive Committee and feedback from Membership, these are the 2020 voting guidelines:
- AWCC Members will vote between 6:00 PM and 8:00 PM on November 10, 2020 at the ballroom of the Parador Inn at 939 Western Avenue. There will be signs directing everyone to the voting location. Masks are required.
- The Nominating Committee Slate of Officers for 2020 is listed here in the Gazette. Any additional nominations can be made via a Google doc here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdc5xk3iWTQK8M99ylupz6NC1i6UnUdf2NwbMuAVjhzZZCsyw/viewform
This list can also be accessed from the Allegheny West website. You’ll be asked to list the name of the nominee, office nominated to as well as confirm that the person being nominated has agreed to it. Nominations will be accepted until Sunday, November 8th at 5:00 PM.
- Sergeant-at-Arms Sara Sweeney and her two Assistant Judges of Election will collect, count, recount, and certify the election. They will also be present at the polling site to confirm eligibility and enforce social distancing.
- The results will be announced at the General Membership Informational Meeting that will begin at 8PM on November 10th on Zoom.
- Note that Nominating Committee Election will be postponed until February or March of 2021.
We’ll review this again at the General Membership Informational meeting on Tuesday, October 13th. Also at the 10/13 meeting, we’ll have our regular guests, a representative from Pittsburgh Water and Sewer who will talk about the lead line replacement work occurring in Allegheny West and we’ll get a Treasurer’s Report. Finally, on the heels of the huge success of the First Ever AWCC Trivia Contest, we’ll have the Second Ever AWCC Trivia Contest. (Congrats to John DeSantis, last month’s winner.)
Hope to see you on the 13th, stay safe out there!