Philadelphia Fish-House Punch
It’s the entertaining season, so let’s make some punch.
Combine in a punch bowl:
- 1 pound of superfine sugar
- 16 ounces of lemon juice (or lime juice)
Stir to dissolve. Add:
- 3 cups of Jamaican rum
- 12 ounces of cognac
- 12 ounces of peach brandy
- 3½ quarts water
Approximate yield: 25 cups
Adapted from the Philadelphia Telegraph, 1880 from a recipe dated 1795.
- As always, drink responsibly.
- You’ll need a large punch bowl, since the recipe yields over 6 quarts of punch.
- Chill with a block of ice.
- You might be able to use lemon sorbet as well, but then cut back the sugar a bit
- Any golden, full-bodied rum can be substituted for the Jamaican rum.